Marmalade and Whisky Bread and Butter Pudding

Sunday 4 January 2015

What to do with all these jars?...

First of all, welcome to my first proper blog post. I decide to start with something simple and show you how I made this Bread and Butter pudding...
               http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/251622/marmalade-and-whisky-bread-and-butter-pudding

So Christmas is over and if you're anything like me you are willing the first daffodils to pop up out the ground... but whilst you're waiting, let's carry on eating some hearty grub and enjoy these cosy evenings just for a little while longer.


   
            

For some reason, this Christmas, lots of gifts that were given to us were chutneys, jams and other preserves. I do like a nice bit of preserve(!!), maybe I've mentioned it to a few people, I'm not sure... Anyway, we ended up with tons of marmalade! I'm not the biggest fan of old marmalade but after a bit of searching on the net I decided to use the orange jam to help me make Marmalade and Whisky Bread and Butter Pudding. 

I'm not going to do a step by step guide as I think the link above is best for                           that but here is how I got on.



     Making little marmalade sandwiches
(SANS CRUSTS!)


Start by making little marmalade sandwiches with day old bread. Do try and use older bread as I used a mixture of new and old and I could tell a difference. The fresher bread was more stodgy in the finished product. Oh, and don't forget to cut off the crusts!


The custard that the recipe asks you to make is so delicious and really simple, just stick it all in a bowl and mix. The marmalade I used already had whisky in and the recipe asks for 1 table spoon of whisky, I think you could probably but a little more in there then that, but I do like boozy puds. Next time I'd also think about using one of those honey whiskies, I think that would add an extra bit of sweetness.


The finished product
It's recommended that the dish is cooked for 45mins-1hr, I went for the whole hour as there was a lot of custard in there and I wanted to make sure it was cooked through. When I bake this again I'd probably cook it for another 15 minutes. My dish was pretty deep and I think the custard could have thickened up even more. 


So what do I think of this recipe? So easy! Seriously easy. Also I think it could be quite adaptable, like the honey whisky I mentioned earlier, or add some extra dried fruit if you fancy. I think I would add an extra bit of caster sugar to the top of the pudding too, just to help it all caramelise. I will definitely be whipping this one up again before Spring arrives. Enjoy! 

Amy x 



No comments:

Post a Comment